Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Packing, for people who have decided what they want to pack

Well, for better or for worse, here's what I'm going with:
3 short sleeve button-down tshirts
2 pair shorts
1 pair trousers
1 pair super-high-tech, quick-dry, sun-proof, ultra-light, extra-gadget-holding, wacky-belt-looped, million-pocketed, zip-off things.
6 pair undergarments/socks (for those that must know, the answer is 'trunks'...)
A toiletry bag that's absolutely jam-packed with things I hope never to need, including all sorts of different stomach-trouble ailments (and shampoo)
flip-flops (or tevas, I still haven't decided...)
decent leather shoes
hat (aussie hat! yeah!)
a couple normal t-shirts (for when I get sick of the MSF ones)
Other stuff- head lamp, penlight, mp3 player, little tiny digital camera, assorted power & functional cables for said items, extra batteries...

I'll be wearing one pair of trousers, a long sleeve t-thing, a bulky flannel shirt, a goretex jacket, and hiking boots. I wish i could manage not to bring the bulky warm stuff, but it's freezing cold in Amsterdam and I'll have at least two days there...maybe I'll send it home before I leave.

Boy...I feel like perhaps I'm missing something. That can't be it. Ah well, if it isn't I'll add more later.

Suffice to say, it's been a fun challenge trying to figure out what the hell to put in my backpack, and while the input of others was appreciated, it didn't help clarify for me...For example, I asked the project team if I should bring more shorts or full-length trousers, and what for my feet. Two expats responded. One said "we almost never wear trousers, and are always in flip-flops", and the other said "we almost never wear shorts, and you should bring sandals and hiking boots".
Well, gee, thanks.

So, hopefully I've hit some sort of happy medium...If I'm horribly lacking in something or another, you'll for sure hear about it as soon as I can get to an internet connection. The post will be something to the effect of "for God's sake, send me some XXX!!! I'm dyin' here!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In hearing you'll need to be "dressed up" some times - I'd recommend adding one lightweight, light colored, loose fitting long sleeve cotton shirt.

Of course you may have time in Monrovia to add an item like that.

Taj said...

I've been told that shortsleeves are a perfectly acceptable 'dressy' shirt. I did leave a long-sleeved cotton shirt off the list, though (i'm bringing one).

Anonymous said...

Taj, Will we be able to send you stuff while you are there?

We're looking forward to Saturday!

Taj said...

not really...but a little.
I don't have mail in the field, but I will have an address in Amsterdam where people can send things. Items stay there until someone comes to visit us in the field (like, say, me, this time). Then the visitor gets to carry all the fun stuff for everyone else in the project.
I don't know what that address is yet. I do know that they pretty much limit how much stuff can go OUT of A'dam (to the field) to about 2.5kg/person. So it needs to stay light. Letters are good, photos too, but 5-pound blocks of cheese are probably a no-go.