Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Packing for dummies


Right.

I get to bring 20KG with me. MSF provides no list to work off of. I'm now in the (probably) unenviable position of having decide what to pack for a 9 month trip to someplace I've never been, in a climate I've never lived in. I want to keep it to minimum needed...but I also want to make sure I've got what I need.

Help!

I've alread been informed that:
  • I shouldn't bring too many clothes
  • The laundry person does laundry almost every day
  • The culture tends to 'dress up' more often than not...
  • It's usually between 30-40C for the next few months
  • After that it rains. A lot. In stunning amounts.
  • MSF provide bug dope and sunscreen. And soap. And a towel. And sheets. And lots of other 'sundries'.
  • MSF also provides T-shirts and vests (!) for wearing when you're working or leaving the compound (you always want to be wearing your MSF shirt when you venture out. Unless, as we discussed - a lot- in the training in Holland, you're going out to visit (a) a bar, (b) your secret native lover, or (c) a prostitute).
Anybody have any ideas for me? Especially anyone who's been to Africa, the equator, etc.
My biggest question thus far is: what do I bring for my feet? I've got hiking boots, work boots, flip flops, business-casual work shoes, tennis shoes, etc. What am I going to want? Shoes could easily be the most bulky thing I bring.
I need something for kicking around day-to-day, but also something for when I'm out tromping in the bush on 'explos', and something, too, for when I have to attend 'events' in-country (weddings, funerals, meetings with high muckity-mucks, etc.).

Any input would be appreciated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good pair of hiking boots should satisfy at least several of your needs. If the ones you have already fit these needs, they should be fine, otherwise, you might want look at purchasing a new pair. I recomend a visit to REI if there's one near you, otherwise any outdoors store should have a good selection. If you're looking at doing serious hiking, I think they should go at least over your ankle, if not mid calf. This makes them heavier, however. If you've got strong ankles, maybe not necessary. Since it sounds like conditions can get very wet, they should also be gore-tex lined. Contrary to popular belief, this won't keep you dry forever, especially if slogging through puddles, but it's as close as you can get without rubber boots. I'd also stay away from full leather boots; they're cooler although less durable. I'd recommend a good light/warm weather jacket be one items you splurge on as well. Well, that's my unsolicited two cents.

Anonymous said...

http://www.onebag.com/home.html
a website devoted to travelling and living months at a time out of one bag.