Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Just a couple things

So, firstly, I have another infected wound. A silly 2x4 bit me on the ankle the other day. Well, Ok, last week. I thought maybe I had learned my lesson the last time I had a scratch, and cleaned the bugger good _immediately_. Didn't work. Now my ankle's all swollen and red and generally unpleasant. Hurts a lot. But my fever's down. So that's good.

On the plus side, we have a new doctor in the project. He's german (yes, german) and his name is Micha(el). Very exciting to have a new person in the project...it always changes things. For the better, for the worse, you definitely get changes. Neat!

On the minus side (you can't have good without evil?), work has essentially stopped on my clinic because I can't get cement. In fact, I'm damn close to having this thing done, but I can't get to two of the last three things until the finish-quality layer is on the floor. And that means more cement. I also can't put in concrete floors in Beoyoolar, nor fix the well and placenta pit at Zuluyee, nor fix the water tower at the hospital. No cement. It's a bit...burdensome...on my psyche. Oh, I have lots of other things to do, to be sure, but I would really like to wrap those projects up as they've been hanging in the 'to do' pile for some time.

Made a couple of changes to the blog since the internet is working and I can't move around all day (what with a big fat red ankle and a doctor telling me 'don't walk on it. no, really, don't. if you want to keep your foot...'). Comments will now be visible 'in-line'...which is to say you'll always be able to see them on the main page. If you _don't_ want to see them, click on the little line that says how many comments are attached to the post (for example "6 comments").

I'm doing this because I have gotten tired of coming up with things to write about on my own. It seems a bit self-absorbed, and generally 'blog-like', just to whip off a lecture on what I think is important, and I don't think I'm very good at it. In fact, I think it contributes to the disuse of my blog by me. I'd much rather be writing about things folks have questions or thoughts on.

I'll still drop the occasional monologue irrespective of all of your input, but I thought maybe if I have the comments right there, it can generate some good discourse. I have a much easier time putting together answers and opinions on my experiences than just mindlessly reprinting them by rote into the much-vaunted 'blogosphere'.

hope everything is going swimmingly...
ciao
taj

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry. Got to argue with you. You are very good at the monologues/lectures! Perhaps you do need a few questions now and then to stimulate more comments - - but please keep forcing yourself to do your own off-the-top writings.

Your last post got me thinking about the potentially devastating impacts of MSF pulling out. You responded about NGOs possibly stepping in. Who is in charge of that type of negotiating? How much effort is put into it? etc. - - Basically can you expand more on your response to Amy?

and, btw, 2 things on the blogging:
1) can you set it so the comments show by date as well as time?
2) if your answers to comments are extensive, can you post a new blog entry instead of responding to the comments? I was surprised just now to go back and seem comments from others and you to entries on Aug. 11 - - and perhaps readers don't always go back when they feel they are up to date on their readings.

Taj said...

1-they're already shown by date, from earliest to latest...
2-yep, for some things, i'll do just that.

Diana said...

Taj, you are amazing. I love your writing in whatever form it takes. I hope your ankle is healing and that you are following doctor's orders! A few questions - why no cement? Is it a supply issue or a rainy season issue? Second, what in *&#%$ is a "placenta pit"?

Life at nwirp continues with changes a-plenty. Don't know if you're interested but I'll fill you in anyway - we love the new space and are already filled to capacity with more people coming. Andrea P left and is in Mozambique right now (might be in India already), Katie Jo replaced her but is leaving next month. Mozhdeh was finally hired the other VAWA attorney position. Stella (Essi) is pregnant and due next month. Kristen K is due with her 2nd in Nov. Neha left in July. Matt is filling in as temp LD. Andrea C is leaving next month too.

Please take care of yourself and your gimpy ankle.