Sunday, March 12, 2006

Yesterday, it rained in Monrovia.

There must be no sound in the world like that of a tropical deluge
falling simultaneously on hundreds of thousands of tin roofs, across a
city of millions.

Monrovia's usually very loud...during the day, evening, even at night.
It's a regular cacophony of people talking, horns honking, sirens
blaring, arguments, and a constant crash in the background of the
surf. But when the rain falls, it simply drowns out all else. The
drumming is deafening at times...It's really quite something.

I'm looking forward (with trepidation) to the first rains in
Sanniquellie. It will be a markedly different experience. There are
nowhere near so many people there, and Sangba base is fairly outside
the town itself. As such I expect it to be a much different
environment when the rain falls. I understand from my project team
that it has been raining the last week (and here I am in Monrovia...).
Everything's absolutely soaked. Ah, well. The rainy season "begins" in
late April, and then I'll have a solid 6 months of my own to
experience it. Over and over and over.

It's Sunday and I'm in Monrovia. This can only mean one thing: I'm off
to the beach.

ciao for now.
taj

No comments: