Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wrapping up Panama

OK, of course, there's more to talk about. I spent a further two weeks in Panama...one week finishing up life, the universe, and everything, and then a very fun week with Sky traveling around and generally having a good time. So...where to begin?

The last week of class was fine if unexceptional. Various folks left class at different points during the week; it was strange to feel like the last of the 'original' group (even though that wasn't the case) but good to get more studying in and feel like my Spanish definitely improved with the one-on-one classes that I received as a result. Ups and downs, right?

The last week of study/work followed the spirit of the previous three - fairly quiet, not a lot going on, just trying to get things to stick in my head, finding a drink or two in the evening to unwind and not worry about grad school, passing the time...Friday was officially my last day of class (amazingly, I had spent four weeks there!) and I was required to present "something" to the rest of the students. I decided to present the recipe for tiramisu that I had learned (and tweaked occasionally) at Bottega. That went fine, although colloquial usage for verbs having to do with cooking is, apparently, considerably different from dictionary-stated applications. Words for browning, pouring, etc., are not...hmm...what you might guess. That's how I learn, I suppose!

That pretty much does it for the last of my studies! Now I have to wrap up all the requisite bits to get my credits all lined up - writing some papers, doing an interview to verify I made progress with my Spanish skills, collating some photos and getting ready to finally receive my bachelor's degree in June!

I'll write up the tourist portion of our travels in the next post...that'll be the one with the fun stories.

No comments: